Saturday, September 27, 2008

Another Chance

What was I thinking when I gave up my 'kids? They were a huge part of my life and I just gave them up, like they meant nothing to me! You're probably getting ready to throw me to the dogs right about now aren't you? Well, I'm talking about my 3 miniature horses! See, it's not as bad now is it? But it was to me!

Those little guys meant the world to me. Each one had their own unique personality which came along with their own vices. The little colt was a gift from a dear friend and was my first foal I've ever trained, the mare had attitude with a capital 'A' but she was 'my pretty pony' and the gelding was the one I had gotten first so we learned from each other. Together, they fit with the other like an awkward sort of puzzle. They were the perfect little posse.

As much as I loved them, I had found myself in a desperate place, being more limited with my abilities to care for them or spend any quality time so I felt forced to let them go. It's always hard to lose a pet but these were especially difficult for me. My favorite animals are horses and these were a horse , but in a teeny tiny package.

Since they left in the spring of this year I discovered the pasture to be a very empty and sometimes haunting place and even found it difficult to just go out in the yard without breaking down. I kept telling myself that my decision was good for both them and me. They'd get some much deserved attention now and maybe I and my hubby would get more time to ourselves. HA, it didn't happen that way at all. My 'kids' ended up getting separated almost from the start. Although the colt was doing well, I had heard the mare kept getting into trouble and my little chestnut gelding, although he also got in trouble by pushing other horses around, wound up getting very depressed. Yes, animals DO go through depression. I kept up on their progress (or lack of) and missed them more than I ever dreamed I could. Each time I talked with their new owners it would make me miss them more and I wondered if I'd done the right thing.

Do we ever know if we do the 'right' thing? I mean, we can analyze and reason things out but at the end of the day, don't we have to live with the choices we make anyway? Not always. Sometimes God will give us another chance. When that happens we thank Him and hope we learn from the mistakes we've made. In fact, I just left that once lonely pasture and said goodnight to 2 of my 'kids', my pretty pony with the big attitude and the chestnut gelding who is STILL teaching me about myself. They are finally back home where they belong. Oh, and the little colt? He's a very happy little guy in his new home and I'm happy for him. Thank God for another chance for all of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, looney2n - at the time you did what was the best for you and your little horses. I know what a difficult decision it was for you. I know that you gave them up because of the love you had for them.
I also know how difficult it was for the mare and gelding to adjust without you - they mourned you just as much as you mourned for them.
I am so happy for you that you have your beloved little horses back in your life.
"Another Chance" yes, that is exactly what you have been given and your 2 precious minis have been given "Another Chance" also.
Hugs my dear friend!