Saturday, September 20, 2008

Urban Development~ Is There A Vaccine Yet?

Well, there should be because I feel a fever coming on~

My husband and I have been blessed with a farm, high on the bluffs in Minnesota. Great huh! Well, as much as I thank The Author of the beauty that's outside of my windows, unbelievably there is a downside. There is a disease running rampant out there which has reached epidemic proportions. In a word (or 2), it's name is URBAN DEVELOPMENT!

Here we are, 40 acres of absolutely breathtaking views, endless forms of wildlife, fresh air, and sounds of nature and this is just naming a few of the blessings that we enjoy in my back yard. The fall is my favorite time with all the different colors and the crisp air, or maybe it's the spring with the multitude of wild flowers blooming and everything just seems to come alive, awakening from the sleep of winter....OK, I probably will never decide on this because each season brings it's own expression of life and still amazes me that one place can have so many faces. The common thread among them all is that the wildlife remains constant. I'll never grow tired of seeing a herd if deer grazing in our big back yard.

In 1995 we bought the old farm which came with about 40 acres and much needed peace and tranquility. There was about 7 miles between our little piece of paradise and the chaos of the city. Although the size of the city is not one where you'd need the assistance of a map to find the nearest convenience stores, none the less, it is a city and not where we chose to live. But since 1995, without our choosing we've basically 'moved' about 4 miles closer! How does that happen? I thought that you had to actually 'move'..to move. Mixed now in the midst of our 'tranquility', we hear sirens, fireworks, trucks hauling, kids screaming, dogs barking and all the things that come with city life. I'm thinking maybe we can just move our house to the BACK of the 40 acres instead of being on the front where the city is crawling right toward us. But judging from what has already happened as well as what appears to be a world wide epidemic, IF we did that, it's very probable that in another 10 years, another city would be crawling up to our door step on the opposite side.

In every case wouldn't it be highly unlikely or more accurately, almost impossible, to give back to nature what's been selfishly taken? I think this fact is one that warrants at least a fight. OUR wilderness, YOURS and mine, is dwindling quickly. Every day the news brings increasingly more stories of wild animal sightings and attacks in the towns and cities than ever before because their natural habitat is being destroyed. It appears that the majority of people no longer hold valuable the preservation of what was in place before we got here. (To you evolutionists, DON'T argue!...I'm the MOM!..plus, about 60% of the scientists believe it too! But that's an entirely different blog.)

OK, I'll stop the whining for the moment. For me personally, I certainly would give up, in a New York minute (little jab there) the tiny bit of convenience that this 'move' has given me for the way it used to be. Since we can't go back in time, I'm just going to have to vow to fight it when I can. But I swear, when they finally reach the technology where people can actually move to the moon, IF it's anything like our planet use to be, I'll be packing my bags!

No comments: