Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Have the Faith Of A Child

When I was a child...as with most children, I trusted my parents to provide my needs. All of them. I did not worry if I had clothes to wear but knew where to get them when I needed them. I did not worry about how I was going to eat. I just knew it would be there when I was hungry. When I went to bed at night, I didn't wonder if I had a bed but instead knew my bed was going to be where it always had been. I also knew that I wouldn't have to face harsh weather because I just knew that my parents would ensure that I was protected.

As adults we need these things and usually have to provide for ourselves. Can you imagine what it would be like, as an adult to just know that our needs will be met? We need to do our part of course. But the Bible tells us in the book of Mark, chapter 10 and starting at verse 11,...'Unless you change and become like little children, you cannot enter into the kingdom of God'. It sounds like God wants us to just trust, believe and accept Him like children do with their earthly parents.

As His children, we can trust our heavenly Father to provide all of our needs. In fact, He promises that He will, IF we trust Him. That can be a very hard thing to do because as adults, we have a tendency to look beyond the immediate need and see all the other variables and view life as much more complex. For example, if an adult is in need of comfort and peace about a particular situation, God instructs us to ask Him for it. If we do not remain focused on our prayer and wait for Him to answer, too many times we will allow the 'what ifs' to creep in which will eventually complicate the situation more. Before long we've gotten ourselves worried and stressed out so badly that when that peace comes to us, it is not recognized. It's been drowned out because we've allowed all the other feelings to get in the way. The end result is that we feel that God has not answered our prayer for peace.

I feel that Jesus used the example of children because they don't usually understand the vastness and complexity that looms beyond them. They are incapable of thoughts about the 'what ifs' because their world is so small and simple.

This post comes as a challenge to each of us to do just what Our Father desires and put our trust in Him for all of our needs. Yes it will be difficult at first. But as God steps in and demonstrates His unfailing love by doing just what He promises, it will get easier. Life gets a lot simpler if we can just rest in Him and know that He is God. Let that thought absorb into your minds and hearts because once it does, SIGH, there's NO turning back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Linda.

What I find to be so interesting about children is how they can so easily befriend each other, whereas with adults we tend to seclude ourselves from each other.

I see this as something that is lacking within the Church today.

For the most part, it seems like we go to Church to hear a sermon; but when the Pastor is finished, it's as though we can't get out the door fast enough! Thus, we miss the whole purpose of the Assembly.

In other words, we aren't supposed to go to Church to merely hear someone else speak; we are supposed to speak to each other too!

After all, it's fellowship in Christ that we are supposed to be there for, right?

Therefore, it would be good for us to become as little children and spend some time together in friendship.

Blessings to you,
--Chris

looney2n said...

Hi Chris and thanks for your comment! I agree 100%! I've often thought about that as well. It's a shame that more people don't hang out after services because there is so much to learn from each other.

I also admire the ability that a child has to forget their differences with each other. They may get upset for the moment but soon afterwards they are together playing again. That's something else we adults can learn from the children. It seems there are many reasons Our Father would have us be more like children. Thanks for your view on this and for stopping by. God bless you my friend!